The Center of Town
The old Fred Roberts Hotel sits at the heart of downtown Dublin, next door to the historic Theatre Dublin and surrounded by the new Bicentennial Plaza. Constructed in 1926 as a project of the Dublin Chamber of Commerce, the building saw its first golden era from 1920s through the 1950s, when it was known as the finest hotel between Macon and Savannah. A long decline in use led to the abandonment of its upper floors by the 1980's.
Beginning in the mid-2000s, however, the Nichols Company began an ambitious $2.5 million renovation project. Completed in 2011, the renovation effort redesigned the interior into a mixed-use complex with retail, professional, and residential condominiums, while preserving the buildings original heart pine floors, terrazo-clad lobby, numerous brick archways, and exterior architectural details.
The building's balcony and plentiful windows provide beautiful views of historic downtown Dublin, including the 1906 Dublin Carnegie Library, Dublin City Hall, historic Theatre Dublin, First Baptist Church, and Morris Bank's Founder's Park.
Early Art Deco Architecture
The Fred Roberts is an early example of Art Deco architecture, mixed with eclectic European and Egyptian influences. Designed by architect C.W. Shieverton, the building plan features two towers flanking a recessed central tower with second-floor balcony. Narrow vertical columns (pilasters) separate rows of windows. The monolithic red brick façade, built by local master brick masons using local clays, is punctuated by geometric brick patterns, Tudor arches, two stone renderings of Egyptian sarcophagi, English shields, and numerous mummy mask motifs. The building represents one of Georgia’s earliest examples of Art Deco eclecticism and reveals its fine construction upon close examination.